There are lots of advantages to having dental implants in Midtown Manhattan, NYC, but they are not the right choice for everyone. We have listed some of the pros and cons of treatment.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Natural looking teeth. Dental implants look and feel like your natural teeth as the dental implant post closely replicates a natural tooth root.
- Easier eating. Dental implants make it easy to chew food properly, particularly if currently struggle with ill-fitting dentures. You’ll be able to enjoy a greater variety of foods, and your general health could improve due to better overall nutrition.
- Improved appearance. Your appearance may improve, as dental implants support your cheeks and lips and ensure your facial dimensions are correct.
- A long-lasting solution to missing teeth. Dental implants are very durable and are a long-lasting solution to missing teeth. With the correct care they should last for many years or even for life.
- Oral health benefits. Dental implants only have positive effects on your remaining teeth, helping to hold them in position. In addition, there is no need to grind down or modify healthy teeth to support a bridge or denture.
- Improved speech. Strong and secure dental implants can help improve speech, as opposed to loose and unsecure dentures that can slide around or click as you talk.
- Self-confidence. You’ll enjoy greater self-confidence and self-esteem, as no-one will know you are missing any teeth.
- No need for removable dentures. Dental implants can replace full or partial dentures with a permanent and secure bridge.
Disadvantages of Dental Implants
- Not everyone is suitable for treatment. The majority of people will be suitable for dental implants, but they might not be the best choice for everyone. If you have a systemic disease or smoke and do not wish to quit, you are at greater dental implant infections or failure.
- Good oral hygiene is vital. Some people assume dental implants are inert, and therefore don’t require much care. In fact they require meticulous care as they are surrounded by living tissue that can become infected. Dental implants might not be right for someone who is not prepared to regularly maintain then through excellent daily oral hygiene and with regular dental checkups, periodontal cleanings and maintenance.
- A tiny percentage of dental implants will fail. This can sometimes after many years of trouble-free use. The risks of this occurring can be greatly reduced through proper dental care, but they cannot be completely eliminated. However, this percentage is extremely small.
In general, the benefits outweigh the risks, and dental implants have now been safely used for decades so have been extensively studied. We encourage patients to ask lots of questions and we do carry out a rigorous planning procedure to keep risks to an absolute minimum. We only recommend dental implants if we feel they are the optimal choice for you, as otherwise we will suggest an alternative way to replace lost teeth.
Dental implants are increasingly being used as part of major smile makeovers where multiple and quite complex treatments may be […]Read More ›
Loose dentures are a very common problem, making it tricky to eat and talk without fear of the dentures shifting […]Read More ›
If you have been investigating the possibility of having dental implants then you might have come across mini dental implants. […]Read More ›